Tue, Feb 04|
School for Creative and Performing Arts
HIGHER Auditions - 6:30p-7:00p
Five minutes. 16 bars. Short monologue. Original rock musical around the heroin epidemic. ALL TYPES & VOICES.
Time & Location
Feb 04, 2020, 6:30 PM – 7:00 PM
School for Creative and Performing Arts, 108 W Central Pkwy, Cincinnati, OH 45202, USA
About The Event
HIGHER is an original rock musical around the heroin epidemic.
Music and Lyrics by Mark Levine
Developed by American Legacy Theatre
Musical Arrangement by Eric Knechtges
The director, Jared O'Roark, is seeking actors of all types and all ethnicities to audition for this world premiere of this locally written and developed rock musical. "Tommy meets Spring Awakening"
Each actor will be given 5 minutes within this 30 minute window to do 16 bars and a short monologue. Please bring your headshot, resume, and sheet music. We are still solidifying the exact location of the audition. Once set you will receive an email update.
Callbacks will be the evening of Monday February 10, 2020.
Auditions and callbacks are at SCPA. If running late please call/text Mark Levine at 513-307-7682. You will need to go to front dooor and go through security.
Because this is an original musical we will have a slightly longer rehearsal process.
As of now, rehearsals will begin either the week of April 5-April 11. HIGHER will open May 15 and run 12 performances over three weekends with a possibility to extend to a fourth weekend. Official dates will be set by time of contracted offer.
This show has six principal characters, six adult ensemble, and two male youths. A.L.T. is seeking to cast an understudy for each role in the show. If successful, the understudies will be guaranteed at least one or two performances.
- Benjamin (20s, male, tenor) - Benjamin comes from a two-parent home, plays baseball, and goes on to become a marine all while being afraid of talking to girls. After succumbing to drinking and pain killers, Benjamin eventually becomes addicted to heroin and struggles to find his way out.
- Mara (20s, female, mezzo) - Mara is addiction personified as the girl next door. While someone the audience falls in love with, she later turns with a mean and vengeful streak.
- Mother (40s +/-, female, mezzo) - Benjamin's mother is a strong woman who sometimes is overshadowed by others, but ends up being a voice of reason and change.
- Father (40s +/-, male, baritone) - Benjamin's father is a loving but dominant personality that struggles with his own drinking problems and desire to see his son aspire to more than he ever did.
- Kyle (20s, male, baritone/tenor) - Kyle is Benjamin's cousin and best friend who is wildly charismatic, the life of the party and becomes a professional baseball player before succumbing to addiction of pain killers and heroin.
- Becca (20s, female, soprano) - Becca is Benjamin's high school crush and becomes the stable force for Benjamin later on in life during his recovery, having been sober herself a number of years. Becca is warm, bright, and has an underestimated strength.
- Young Benjamin (10, male, alto/soprano) - Young Benjamin starts the journey of Benjamin before he grows up experiencing his very first sip of beer.
- Young Kyle (10, male, alto/soprano) - Young Kyle proves that he has always been the life of the party when he sneaks his father's beer and seeks to revel in his glory with his cousin Benjamin.
- Male Ensemble (x3) - This includes a varying degree of voice types. There is a featured baritone track that will need to have a very good Elvis Presley impression.
- Female Ensemble (x3) - This includes a varying degree of voice types.
16 bars. One short monologue.$0.00