Sat, Sep 11|
HIGHER Auditions - 3:30-4:00p
Five minutes. 16 bars. Short monologue. Original rock musical around the heroin epidemic. ALL ETHNICITIES & VOICES. ALL AGES.
Time & Location
Sep 11, 2021, 3:30 PM – 4:00 PM
The Carnegie, 1028 Scott Blvd, Covington, KY 41011, USA
About The Event
HIGHER is an original rock musical around the heroin epidemic.
Music and Lyrics by Mark Levine
Developed by American Legacy Theatre
Musical Arrangement by Eric Knechtges
Executive Artistic Director, Matthew David Gellin, is seeking actors of all types and all ethnicities to audition for this world premiere of this locally written and developed rock musical. "Tommy meets Spring Awakening"
Each actor will be given 5 minutes within this 30 minute window to do 16 bars and a short monologue. Please bring your headshot, resume, and sheet music.
Callbacks will be Monday September 13, 7:00pm-10:00pm.
Auditions and callbacks are at The Carnegie - 1028 Scott Street, Covington, KY 41011. If running late please call/text A.L.T. at 513-443-5429.
At this time, masks will be worn for all rehearsals. In order to be mask-free for performance, all artists need to be fully vaccinated.
Rehearsals begin: Week of Sept 27
10 out of 12 Tech: Oct 24
Opening Night: Oct 29
Closing: Nov 7
$250 stipend + 25% ticket referral commission.
This show has six principal characters, six adult ensemble, and two male youths. A.L.T. is seeking to cast an understudy for each role in the show. If successful, the understudies will be guaranteed at least one performance.
- Benjamin (20s, male, tenor) - Benjamin comes from a two-parent home, plays baseball, and goes on to become a marine all while being afraid of talking to girls. After succumbing to drinking and pain killers, Benjamin eventually becomes addicted to heroin and struggles to find his way out.
- Mara (20s, female, mezzo) - Mara is addiction personified as the girl next door. While someone the audience falls in love with, she later turns with a mean and vengeful streak.
- Mother (40s-50s, female, mezzo) - Benjamin's mother is a strong woman who sometimes is overshadowed by others, but ends up being a voice of reason and change.
- Father (40s-50s, male, baritone) - Benjamin's father is a loving but dominant personality that struggles with his own drinking problems and desire to see his son aspire to more than he ever did.
- Kyle (20s, male, baritone/tenor) - Kyle is Benjamin's cousin and best friend who is wildly charismatic, the life of the party and becomes a professional baseball player before succumbing to addiction of pain killers and heroin.
- Becca (20s, female, soprano) - Becca is Benjamin's high school crush and becomes the stable force for Benjamin later on in life during his recovery, having been sober herself a number of years. Becca is warm, bright, and has an underestimated strength.
- Young Benjamin (10, male, alto/soprano) - Young Benjamin starts the journey of Benjamin before he grows up experiencing his very first sip of beer.
- Young Kyle (10, male, alto/soprano) - Young Kyle proves that he has always been the life of the party when he sneaks his father's beer and seeks to revel in his glory with his cousin Benjamin.
- Male Ensemble (x3) - This includes a varying degree of voice types. There is a featured baritone track that will need to have a very good Elvis Presley impression.
- Female Ensemble (x3) - This includes a varying degree of voice types.
16 bars. One short monologue.$0.00